Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Small streets, sideways trees, a snake, some rebels and many mangoes

 

 


Small streets, sideways trees, a snake, some rebels and many mangoes


I also made the first of May a celebration! My goal was to reach the most distant villages (Yoro, Sinaforo and Bayanga Didi).

I left on Friday afternoon, 28th April, and returned on Monday evening, the 1st of May.

The streets are what they are, and, especially in this rainy season, it often happens to find a tree sideways. Luckily I always have an ax in the car, so I can cut a few of the branches and still get through.

Upon my arrival in Yoro, 75 km from Baoro (and 2 and a half hours by road), I met the catechist, the counselors, and many children. We are also in mango season, and for children (but not only them), it is a non-stop party.

Unfortunately, here in Yoro, the number of pupils in the school has decreased, because parents are afraid of the rebels, who roam nearby. On Sunday, during Mass, I tried to encourage the parents, and above all to make them think about and hopefully convince them to send the children back to school.

Saturday morning it rained. I delayed my departure until 9.30, and I set off on foot towards Sinaforo, a small village 7 km from Yoro. The road has now become a little path, full of vegetation, lots of butterflies and even snakes. I happened to come across one of them, but luckily he was more afraid of me and left quickly.

In Sinaforo I celebrated Mass, in the ramshackle of a chapel. But we had many children and many young people, thank God.

I returned to Yoro in the early afternoon, and in the evening I showed a film, to the delight of children and adults.

On Sunday I celebrated Mass in Yoro. There were many people for confessions, which took me for over 2 hours, and Mass, as always, was very lively.

In the afternoon I left for Bayanga Didi, where I spent the night.

While I prepared the viewing of the film, they called me saying that a "military" person wanted to see me. I went, and was not surprised to find one of the rebel leaders. Of course, he's a "general"(!?!?), and just wanted to see if it was the Father who came, or Wagner's Russian mercenaries. We chatted a bit, and I took the opportunity to discuss with him their presence in the area, and especially the schools. He told me they're not interested in making people lives more difficult. Let's hope so!

The next day, May the 1st, I celebrated Mass at Bayanga Didi: it was an opportunity to pray and reflect together on the grace of work.

Around 2 pm I set out on my way back, under a beautiful rain.



Sinaforo








Yoro

Bayanga Didi



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment