Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Villages, a Cardinal, many mothers and my mother

 


 

 

Villages, a Cardinal, many mothers and my mother

This week has been, if possible, even busier than usual!

On Friday, February 5th I travelled 40 km to Samba Bougoulou for a training meeting with the catechists of the area. In the afternoon, after taking some to Igwe, I returned to Samba Bougoulou and took the others to Yoro, where I stayed until Sunday.

They are the furthest villages (about 90 km from Baoro) and very beautiful villages!
Saturday morning I left on foot for Sinaforo, just over 7 km: the road was so bad that I almost walked! Here I celebrated Mass, and I met the people of the village. Then I left on foot around noon (under a scorching sun), and in the afternoon, after confessions, I celebrated the Eucharist.

On Sunday, February 7th I went to Bayanga Didi, a large village, where I did some confessions and celebrated mass.

I returned to Baoro around 4 pm, and here the news reached me that my mother (94) is not well and has been hospitalized. It is serious.

On Monday many soldiers finally arrived to regain control of the road, the only road that connects the border to the capital. Among them are Russian mercenaries, Rwandan soldiers and the Central African army. The few rebels who were here in Baoro fled, and the next day some soldiers reached Bouar. Here the rebels have moved away. But the fear is that they did not go very far, and/or that they moved to other cities (Bocaranga, Bozoum, Ngaundaye, Koui, Bozoum) creating other areas of terror ...

On Tuesday I left early for Bouar (just before the soldiers set out on the road…). On Monday and Tuesday, Cardinal Nzapalainga, archbishop of Bangui, is on a visit with the members of the Platform of Religious Confessions: 2 Protestant pastors and 2 imams.

I accompanied them as they visited the larger sites, where over 17,000 people have been taking refuge for almost a month. When they visited our convent in St. Elie, they found 6 mothers with 6 babies welcoming them: children born while away from home, here in St. Elie! During the meeting they received the blessings of the Cardinal, the bishop of Bouar, both pastors and both imams. I believe they are the most blessed children in the country!

While waiting for the army to take control of Bouar, we are trying, like Caritas, to prepare for the return of the refugees to their homes in the coming days. Thanks to the help of many people, we will accompany them with a kit for each family (oil, sugar, rice, coffee, soap, detergent, etc.), which we will distribute in the next few days.

This morning, February 11, the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, and the Day of the Sick, I received the news that my mother had passed away. After a few months of suffering and deteriorating health, she can finally rest in peace. Together with my father, brother and sister.

Being a missionary is also this; the mother of a missionary brings, together with her and sometimes even more, the joy and fatigue of the Kingdom of God.

May she rest in peace, after a long life, made up of sacrifices, pains, joys, attention to others, dedication, prayer and faith.


Sinaforo


Arrivano i russi!
L'arrivée des russes à Baoro



Grande fotografo, piccola fotocamera "biscuit"
Un grand photographe, avec une petite caméra "biscuit"




I bambini nati "in esilio" a st Elie
Les enfants nés en exile à st Elie




dr Ione + Card Nzapalinga

Mamma Teresa
Maman Thérèse


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment