Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Mo inga, mbi ye mo: you know that I love you!

 

 


 

Mo inga, mbi ye mo: you know that I love you!

Here I am, Aurelio, coadjutor bishop of Bangassou!

After a week of prayer, the last days before June 9th flew by, one after the other, to follow the final preparations.

Guests start arriving on Friday. At 7, Miguel and Nuria, Mgr Aguirre's brother and sister, arrived from Spain. And at 11:40 the Ethiopian plane landed, with 38 brothers, relatives (my sister and her husband, and my nephew and his girlfriend) and friends.

They stayed in various places (the fathers in the Carmel convent, and the others in the reception center and in a hotel).

Sunday was the big day of the episcopal consecration!

I was serene and calm: the days of preparation and prayer helped me to experience this moment of grace and the episcopal ministry not only as a great, enormous responsibility, but to believe in the strength of the Holy Spirit, and in the support and prayers of many friends, of many brothers and sisters.

The celebration began at 9:30. Over a hundred priests were present, coming from Bangassou, Bouar, Bangui, from our Carmelite province of Genoa, from the diocese of Cuneo, and from the Generalate of the Carmelites. There were the bishops of Central Africa, together with the Apostolic Nuncio: they accompanied me and welcomed me as a brother, successor of the Apostles.

In the long and beautiful tradition of the Church, there must be three consecrating bishops. Today the main consecrator was Cardinal Nzapalainga, archbishop of Bangui, together with Mgr Nestor Nongo, president of the Episcopal Conference, and Mgr Juan Josè Aguirre, the bishop, my bishop of Bangassou.

The cathedral of Bangui was full: there was the president of Parliament, some members of the Government, the Ambassador of Italy, my family, my Carmelite family, friends, the seminarians from Bangassou together with many others from Bangassou, a delegation of 150 people from Bozoum, others from Baoro, and dozens of former Yolé seminarians, dozens of nuns, and many people.

We began with a long procession, and the Mass began with the reading of the translation of the Papal bull, with which Pope Francis appointed me Coadjutor Bishop.

We then listened to the Word of God. Today the Gospel was carried solemnly in a splendid procession that resembled a pirogue (here in Central Africa the Gospel arrived like this, brought by the first missionaries in 1894).

The Gospel I chose was that of John, chapter 21. After the resurrection, Peter returns to fishing. But they don't catch anything. In the morning, Jesus appears on the shore, and once again a miraculous catch occurs. Peter throws himself into the water, and having reached the shore, after the meal prepared by Jesus, he hears Him and asks him a very profound question: "Peter, do you love me?".  And, on the third time, Peter, saddened by the memory of the three times in which he denied Jesus, tells him: "You know everything, you know that I love you".

It is the word I chose for my episcopate: "You know everything, you know that I love you".

After the cardinal's (beautiful) homily, the central part of the consecration begins. We sang the Veni creator Spiritus, an ancient hymn of invocation to the Holy Spirit.  

The Cardinal, in front of all the bishops and the people of God, asked me if I accept the episcopal ministry, that is, to live and announce, guide and govern, and to sanctify the people of God entrusted to me.

Then, while I prostrate on the ground, the whole assembly prays for and on me, invoking the intercession of the saints. At the end, the bishops, in silence, lay their hands on me, an ancient gesture that signifies the gift of the Holy Spirit, and pray with a prayer of consecration, while two deacons hold the book of the Gospels open above me.

And so I am bishop, successor of the apostles, father and pastor of the people of God. Not by my own merit, but by the grace of God!

Then the Cardinal anoints my forehead with Chrism oil, gives me the Gospels, puts the ring on me (a sign of loyalty to the diocese, to the people of God who are entrusted to me), the miter and the crosier.

I am a bishop, and the bishops present welcome me with a warm embrace. And the most beautiful hug is the one with Juan Josè Aguirre, the bishop of Bangassou, with whom I will work in "our" diocese, side by side.

Then began a very long offertory procession: all the parishes and all the delegations bring gifts and offerings for the new bishop (there is no shortage of fish, goats, coal, cassava, oil...).

After communion, my Carmelite brothers (there are more than 50 of us!) take me in front of the statue of the Madonna, where we sing the solemn Salve Regina.

Then I walk through the church, together with the cardinal, to bless the people.

We finished the Mass around 12:30. But it is not easy to get to the sacristy, because there are hundreds of people who come to greet me, take a photo and, above all, to ask for a blessing.

Finally, at a certain point, some people literally drag me to the place of the meal: here everything is prepared very well, for more than 450 people!

So I can finally say goodbye to my family, and the friends and brothers who came for the occasion.

But the party doesn't end like this.

On Monday I was welcomed to Carmel, where I celebrated a beautiful Eucharist with the brothers from Central Africa and Italy, and many other people. For lunch we were in the refectory (just completed) of the new convent. Here too, between the refectory and the cloister, there are more than 250 people celebrating!

On Tuesday afternoon I celebrated Mass in the parish of St. Jaques, for the many families whose origins are in Bangassou. Cardinal Nzapalainga, and 3 other bishops, who are also originally from Bangassou!
And, after communion, the assembly exploded into beautiful songs and dance: it is one of the qualities of the Bangassou population. I was offered some very important gifts: an ebony dugout canoe, which recalls the arrival of the gospel (but also a land rich in rivers, like the diocese), a wooden plate, a spear and a knife, a state of shepherd, and a chasuble.

After dinner, we quickly ran to the other side of the city, where the Cardinal awaited us, for a moment of celebration and brotherhood.

In recent days there has been an enormous amount of organizational work, which my priests from Bangassou, my Carmelite brothers, "my" former seminarians and many others have carried out. Thank you!

And now I'm in Baoro, where I will celebrate in a few hours, and then continue on to Bozoum and Bouar.

And everywhere, as I thank God for this call and this ministry, I repeat: "You know everything, you know that I love you".

 

Here is the link to the page with the video recordings:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100081099975652&mibextid=ZbWKwL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




























 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment