Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 21, 2021

At a snail's pace

 


 

At a snail's pace

Often our roads, here in Central Africa, require us to move at a different pace, slower, but lively, because they are filled with puddles, holes, jumps and unexpected encounters (from goats to monkeys or snakes to chickens).

On Friday afternoon I left for the most distant villages (Yoro and Sinaforo) about 80 km away.  It takes at least 2 hours, if it doesn't rain too much and if I do not get blocked by mud or sand.

I arrived in Yoro late in the afternoon and met the catechist and the counselors. Saturday morning I left on foot for Sinaforo, a small village 7 km away: the road in the middle of the rainy season is not accessible by car. As soon as we arrived, a nice storm broke out. Around 11 am I celebrated Mass with the small Christian community. After Mass, many people left quickly for the fields, for agricultural work and back to Yoro I went.

I usually carry around with me a couple of car batteries, which give us some light in the evening, and also for some little surprises: that evening I projected a movie with a small video projector. It was very much appreciated!

Sunday morning I celebrated Mass in Yoro, and then left again in the early afternoon.

On Monday and Tuesday 15 of our boys from the Mechanical School took the driving school exam and everyone passed!

Tuesday morning (early) I left for Bangui, where I arrived at 10:30. The construction of the new convent has been moving along, despite the rains. At 2:30 pm there was the weekly construction site meeting, where we discussed the work done, and thought about ideas and solutions for the next steps.

On Wednesday morning it rained (for a change), and after a few meetings, I managed to leave at around 11. The Indian Carmelite Sisters (CMC Sisters) who work in Bouar traveledl with me. After a period of rest they will return to India, and I accompanied them to Bouar, with the car loaded with luggage, bags, and purses beyond belief.

And at 5 pm we finally arrived in Baoro.

 





Sinaforo








Cantiere di Bangui
Le chantier à Bangui


Sosta all'"autogrill" a 110 km da Bangui
Pause sur la route, à 110 km de Bangui




No comments:

Post a Comment