Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 28, 2022

A small red light

 

Giocare
Jouer...

 A small red light

A few years ago a Capuchin missionary had an old Renault R4 car. One day, he saw a strange red light on his dashboard. It bothered him so he covered it with duct tape. It was the oil warning light ... and after a few kilometers the car stopped, the engine overheating ...

I've been thinking about this story these days. And I'll explain why.

From Friday 19th August to Sunday 21st I went to visit the most distant villages: Sinaforo, Yoro and Bayanga Didi.

I left early, and in just under 2 and a half hours I arrived in Yoro, 75 km from Baoro. At about 8.30 am I left on foot for Sinaforo: the road, already impractical in the dry season and now, in the middle of the rainy season, it can only be covered on foot. I travelled the 7 km in just over an hour, and here I met the Christians and the catechist (who had a foot infection). We celebrated Mass, and I returned to Yoro in the early afternoon.

Both in Sinaforo and in Yoro there was much anticipation for a small, yet big event: the installation of the tabernacle in Bayanga Didi. We have been preparing this for over a  year now. The chapel, without the tabernacle, is beautiful, but something was missing: the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. In the afternoon I went to Bayanga Didi to prepare everything.

Saturday morning I did confessions for 3 hours, and then we began the celebration of Mass, during which 5 small children received the sacrament of Baptism.

At the end of the Mass I placed the hosts in the tabernacle, and I connected the small red light, which will remain lit day and night, a silent witness of the Presence of Jesus in this distant village.

I try to explain the meaning of the tabernacle to the Christians: I said that the chapel is like a granary (GOGORO, in Sango, the national language). The granary is always a granary, both when it is empty and when it is full of the fruits of the work of the earth. But if it is full, the barn takes on enormous importance. Thus the chapel: even if there is no tabernacle, one can celebrate and pray. But with the Presence of the Eucharist, the chapel takes on another meaning and another importance.

On Sunday I celebrated Mass in Yoro, and afterwards I met the catechist and the community councilors. They shared with me their dreams for the church and for the village: a well, a house for the catechist, and a nursery school ...

We will see!

Bayanga Didi

 



Sinaforo

A piedi, da Sinaforo a Yoro
En marchant, de Sinaforo à Yoro



Battesimi a Bayanga Didi
Baptemes à Bayanga Didi



Yoro


Riunione della Cassa di Risparmio di Bozoum
Réunion de la Caisse d'épargne de Bozoum

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment